Saturday, June 23, 2007

Why the Japanese created powerpoints

I love most things Japanese, food included. What gets me most about Jap food is the effort put into each bowl of ramen, each slice of sashimi, etc. Presentation is not superfluous. It signifies the intent of the cook to present, in as pleasing a manner, the item which has almost become an extension of himself.

Whenever I recall my trip to Tokyo back in 2000, a scene immediately snaps to mind. The setting was an innocuous pit-stop along a highway, a place for tired legs to roam and to get cheap coffee, and a cigarette or two.

An elderly female cleaner was clearing the trash from one of the bins near where I was seated. She then proceeded to wipe the exterior of the bin thoroughly. I remember thinking to myself: wow these Japs really know how to take pride in their work ah, rubbish bins also must wipe!

Then she began to do the same to the inside of the bin.

That one experience has probably shaped my understanding of the Japanese work ethic. I mean, dude, their taxi drivers wear full business suits and their rides are immaculately polished.
So, the point is, the Japanese really know what attention to detail is, and how to take pride in their work. Which brings me to today's feature: Tampopo Family Dining

Tucked away in the basement of Liang Court, is this gem of a Jap restaurant. It's signboard is barely readable and the crowd is healthy without being donut-factory like.

We learned that their specialties were Kyushu Ramen, Scoop short cake and Black Pig meat.

I had the Kyushu Ramen, which they claim is boiled for two days straight, with pig bones.

Clockwise, from top-left: Green tea, Kyushu Ramen, Egg from Kyushu Ramen, Scoop Shortcake

The ramen, was really good. Every aspect of the dish, was excellent. The broth was flavourful and tasty, without tasting too jelat. The Char Siew was stewed to perfection, with equal parts fat and lean meat. The noodles were springy and freshly made.

We also had the scoop short cake, which consisted of very light cream liberally smothered over chiffon cake and dotted with fresh fruits.


The cream came as advertised, light and sweet, and very fresh. Sigh, I'm sure I will be back here again.

Tampopo Family Restaurant
Liang Court B1
63383186

Taste: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Ambience: 4/5

1 comment:

SelSaysIt said...

I have to go out and eat at different places more often! Always making me hungry...