Friday, June 01, 2007

Gluttons Bay

The Greenlanders in the office went to Gluttons Bay on the eve of Vesak Day. Gluttons Bay, you know, the one at the Esplanade? I've never had particularly good thoughts about the place...I mean, doesn't it just scream "tourist trap"?!

Well, I'm proud to say that, even at slightly inflated prices, the food here is as good as advertised ...

First up, the best of the lot:

Orh Luak!!! (large) - $8

The people who know me, know that I don't eat mussels/clams/la-la/oysters, etc, because...I also dunno why. BUT. The one exception I have with oysters, is our very own, Oyster Omelette!

Man. There's something about that crisp exterior giving way to its tender, starchy interior, all the time bathed in a liberal amount of oil. Combined with the sourish, spicy zing that oyster-omelette-chilli has, the result is pure bliss.

This was easily one of the best oyster omelettes I've had in awhile, though I don't profess to be an expert on the dish, it's really not that hard to tell when you taste perfection.

BBQ Stingray (large) - $15

Not bad, but not as nice as the Bukit Timah market one. Still, for town prices, it's pretty good value.

Hokkien Mee (medium) - $6

For some reason, every hokkien mee seller and their uncle is selling hokkien mee on these pretentious banana leaves. Pray tell, since when did we always sell it like this? Stupid manufactured nostalgia strikes again. Thanks for nothing, Food Republic.

The noodles here, though, tasted pretty good. I did have them the last time I was here, and it was much improved this time around. So, I'd say this place is pretty decent, but has consistency issues.


15 Chicken, 15 Beef - 50c per stick

Damn, it's expensive. Some more not very nice. Sauce sucked. For me, satay's 50% meat, 50% sauce. If the sauce CMI, no point thinking bout the meat man...

Overall, this place is a pretty good place to go if you want bring a foreign co-worker to have a "taste of Singapore", or if you just have orh lua cravings. Come in a group, cos we ended up paying like, under ten dollars each. The food you see is only the shared food, most of them ordered a main dish. =)

Gluttons Bay Esplanade

Taste: 3.5/5 Value: 3/5 (considering it's locale) Ambience: 4/5 (Better ventilated than Newton or Chomp Chomp can every be)

We then made our way down to Winebar, which proved unwise on a pre-holiday nite...

Darrell, Me, Kenneth

All the interns!

I heart B*M

No comments: