Thursday, January 01, 2009

Two oh-oh Eight in review

It shouldn't be fair that 365 days could yield so much - how on earth are we ever gonna live up to 2008?

Among the many milestones that happened this year, here are the few that truly stand out (in chronological order):

1. FYP - The sweat and frustration of spending so much time and effort on a year-long project was matched only by the incredibly satisfying feeling of doing work you can be proud of. The process also taught me a lot about myself; both good and bad, and I have absolutely no regrets embarking on that crazy crazy journey with the three of you.

2. South America - What sounded like a crazy idea over kopi with the guys turned out to be an incredible adventure. Van, I still remember both Zheng and I having to meet your mom to convince her that you weren't crazy and we were going to keep you safe from amorous Brazilian men.

28 days in a place where we as Asians stand out completely; where you speak only human; where we touched the sky. The people we met that opened their homes, lives and hearts to us, even for that brief interlude, made it the perfect grad trip.

3. Graduation - I think that in retrospect, convocation was unnecessary. Unnecessary in the sense that while it does give a definitive "end" to your formal education, it's been all about the journey, not the destination. Cliched as it might sound, the four years in Uni have been the best years of learning in my life. More than the friendships forged, the satisfaction of doing well; the best thing about going to university is the perspective it affords you. Sure, much of it is up to you to read, question and make sense of, but there is probably nowhere else where you are given four years to derive your personal worldview. Brilliant.

4. Got a real job - So many things came together - a confluence of factors - for me to begin work at B*M this July. The invaluable ten-week stint at the BT newsroom, quiet conversations with colleagues (before they were my colleagues) on career advice, countless career assessments/tests/talks. In the end, what really swung it for me was the working environment. When the average age of your employees is 30, you know that work is gonna be one helluva ride. So far, the choice has been vindicated. I've learnt so much in the short space of 5 months and am really settling in. The boss commented last week at my desk that I seem to be more "moved-in" than she has, judging from the amount of stuff on my table, haha.

---

2009

This year's shaping up to be a big year. I just know it. I've got my new year's resolutions all mapped out:

1. Get fit
1.1 Complete a full marathon
1.2 Pick up a sport that I can play on a weekly basis
1.3 Pass the year's IPPT

2. Get financially savvy
2.1 Read the biz section of the papers more
2.2 Research and start a savings/investment plan
2.3 Advance to the next stage in my career

3. Get ready for goal 2010

Yep, so like I said, 2009 is shaping up to be an eventful one.

Happy Niu Year everyone!

No comments: