Sunday, January 18, 2009

Product review: Blurb Photobook (Large Format Landscape)

After three weeks - and many months of procastinating - of twiddling with the layout of the Blurb photobook, it arrived a couple of days ago by Fedex. I have to say that the first time I set my eyes on the book, I absolutely loved it.


You can't see it clearly cos of the light, but the spine says "Danny, Zheng, Vanessa Summer '08"


Yes, it cost $110 SGD, but believe me, it's worth every cent. So here's what I liked about my overall Blurb experience:

Likes
1. Software downloaded was intuitive and comprehensive, compared with the others I tried; giving you enough control without forcing you to create from zero.

2. Loophole that allowed to exploit the depreciating sterling pound. (Eh, I saved almost 40+ SGD by ordering in pounds ok!)

3. Excellent print quality of finished product. Each image was perfectly reproduced and I loved the full bleed option, which means you can print right to the edge of the page.

Dislikes
1. I chose the imagewrap option for the cover, as opposed to the dust jacket option, which I thought meant that the image would be "scanned" onto the cover, rather that being "pasted" (like it turned out to be). As a result, there are small crease marks at the edges of the the cover.

2. Edges of the pages were cut with a rather rough paper cutter, IMO, resulting in it feeling rather rough on the edges.

3. Ok, if I really wanted to nitpick, I'd point out that it's not possible to share the book in its entirity before printing, with someone else. It's ok if it's like a family project, so everyone just needs to physically sit in front of the same screen to vet the project; I wanted to share it with my friends to get their opinions - and the preview option only allowed them to see the first 15 pages of my 50 page book.

4. Last thing, after ordering your book, the "after-sales" email you receive to give you the details of what you've ordered, book tracking, etc, makes it really hard for you to contact them. I mean, I've just paid over 50 pounds to order something from you for the first time; is it really too much to ask for an email address I can send any queries I have to?

The bottomline
This is an awesome product that not only allows you to crystallise your memories, it also lets you have a ball of a time doing so. The flaws I pointed out are really minor and disappear the moment you first see your creation, fresh out of the Fedex package, and I really encourage you to try it for yourself.

The high price is a deterrent, but you should note that I chose the highest grade options for everything, and chose the largest size. Smaller books should be a lot cheaper to make.

Now if they would just open a branch here, like TheDigibook and iPhoto so that shipping is free...

2 comments:

mcfries said...

this is really really cool. great job, bro! show it to me one day!

oh, and happy lunar new year!!!

Danny said...

Haaa glad you liked it. I'll bring it along to the next brewerkz? Van and Zheng saw it and they loved it too!

:D