Sunday, October 21, 2007

Why I won't vote to repeal 377A

There's been so much talk swirling around about the celebrity-driven appeal to the government to repeal an archaic law criminalising sex between homosexuals - and I think we must talk about it.

Obviously, these are my personal views, which I do not seek to impose on you; I'm just thinking out loud.

There is a difference between repealing an existing law, and pursuing new legislation to criminalise something. Repealing an existing law says that what was wrong before is no longer wrong, and should no longer be considered detrimental to society.

New legislation to criminalise an act says that we want to persecute offenders for their behaviour which is perceived to cause harm to society; mostly because they have crossed the line between peaceful existence and behaviour which impinges on others.

I feel that gays in Singapore have not crossed that line. Yet, and I go back to the distinction I made earlier: we are talking about repealing an existing law, rather than petitioning for new legislation.

Agreeing to participate in the former essentially makes you an advocate for gay rights. Agreeing to the latter makes you a participant in a witch-hunt, neither of which I am keen on being part of.

Fortunately, by simply not signing the petition to repeal 377A, I am able to take the middle ground: to remain true to what my heart tells me is right/wrong, while not actively persecuting this group of people, who have the right - just as I do - to fight for what they believe in.

And that is why I will not join in the movement to repeal 377A.

No comments: