Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A decision is made?

"Talk about your guiding principles at the workplace" was the topic for discussion in class yesterday.

It was good because I was made to vocalise my thoughts on the issue. It's always bugged me that PR is often seen as an industry where it is the norm to play fast and loose with ethical boundaries. As a Christian, is this the right industry for me?

I may not be world-wary enough to know better, but looking back at the six months at my internship company, I am hard-pressed to find any particular instance where I had to lie, cheat, deceive or engage in any other forms of unethical practices.

Personally, I have no issue with selling koyok. Let me explain. Telling someone that buying product A will make you the coolest cat at the pub is probably an untruth 99% of the time. Especially at an agency, where you really get all sorts of clients, you can never guarantee that the client you are working for truly is the consumer's best choice.

That is where we, the spin doctors, are supposed to come in. We weave the perception that product A is a great product, that it will improve your sex life, make you more friends, etc. Sometimes, this is true. Most times, it is not. Is this unethical?

Also common is the conscious decision to focus on the pluses and negate the negatives. An example is if your client is great at selling product A, which is part of its stable of products A-Z, and you convince your client to focus on selling that leadership position. Is this unethical?

In both cases, I do not feel the distinct prickling of my conscience. The line, however, is crossed when you engage in selling a product which harms someone.

At B*M, most of the clients are market leaders in their own right. Most make substantial claims which can be backed up. They are big players who probably represent the best decision a customer can make. Will I feel like I am selling koyok? I hope not.

For every ten Singapore Flyers, there is one Yellow Ribbon Project. And that is enough for me.

No comments: