Friday, October 05, 2007

Japan, USA and UK

Ok, fine, I could have thought of a better headline. But it's true what, this post is about Japanese, American and English food, haha.

First up, Waraku at Central.

Digression: The Central carpark is horrendously wicked. You have to drive up about eleven spirals before you see the first lot. //

In a corner of this half-opened mall lies a cluster of Japanese restaurants. And these restaurants are not your usual Sushi Tei variety; Tam po po (the liang court one reviewed some time ago) and a couple of other brand new Jap restaurants make this the new place to go for Jap food.

Waraku is the latest family dining Japanese restaurant to sprout up, chasing the same crowd as your Sushi Teis and Sakae Sushis...except that it's not.

In fact, Waraku has been around for quite some time. It was previously known by its other name, Sento, and had all of two (maybe three?) outlets around the island - nothing like the franchising monster it is now.

Apparently, Sento was a Japanese franchise which opened it's doors here some time ago, under Waraku's current boss. After a couple of years of paying his dues, he decided to strike out on his own and ditch the franchise name. Hence, the birth of Waraku.

I heard that the fallout was acrimonious, but hey, so long as it doesn't affect the food, I'm fine. Pictures!

Gimmicky Alcoholic drink

Grilled Mackeral - was excellent

She had the fried pork katsu with noodles

I had this Japanese Kway Teow thing . Mistake.

My mistake came with lotsa other stuff though, haha.

So the food was alright. Pretty decent, value-for-money stuff.

Waraku
Central Mall

Taste: 3.5/5
Value: 4.5/5
Ambience: 2/5 (seats are waaaay too close to each other)

Next, we went to Goodwood Park for their afternoon english tea buffet. To be entirely honest, I was apprehensive as I approached the 5 metre long spread. I was thinking to myself, wah, I paid 30 dollars ++ for this?!

I saw rows of miniatures: mini-crossaints, mini-pastries, mini-tarts and sandwiches and salads... Heck, the only thing that wasn't mini-sized were the scones.

This is a sampling of what I had.

From left: Ham-wrapped olive open-face sandwich, Chicken crepe, Brie with figs and rock melon, Kueh pi tee with mango prawn, Salami with mayo and pear sandwich, mini-quiche of prawn, mini-mushroom risotto ball.

Wah lao, damn long lah the names! But can I just say that IT WAS HEAVENLY. Every single item we took was incredibly fresh and organically made. By this I don't mean ugly fruits; instead the mini-pastries were all made with real produce. The mangoes were fresh, cheese was quality brie, aiyah, very nice lah!

I would have never imagined that such small bundles of joy would fill me, but fill me it did; it's been a day and I'm still feeling stuffed.

Okay, here are the items I remember from the buffet:

1. Selection of mini-sandwiches
2. Mini scallop burger - imagine a burger with a real scallop patty!
3. Mini balls - ok, sounds wrong, but got different flavour one ok! Chicken pie, mushroom risotto...
4. Scones with fresh cream, butter, jam and raspberry conserve. These are almost as good as the Fosters ones, except that they aren't as warm when served.
5. Selection of mini-pastries - mini-magdalenes, jam-tarts, etc.
6. Cakes - Chocolate-banana gateau, Coconut cheese cake, mango cake, and more.
7. Fondue - Usual fruits
8. Ice cream - quality Belgian chocolate or French vanilla only, meaning the haagen Daaz standard
9. Dessert tarts - Lemon meringue, banana cake with pear, Basic fruit tart, Chocolate eclair, raspberry and honey souffle
10. Fruits

In addition to this, you also get free flow of their drinks (non-alcoholic lah). Their entire selection of premium coffees and teas are at your disposal. Power lah.


L'Espresso High Tea
Goodwood Park Hotel

Taste: 5/5
Value: 4/5 - you get what you pay for, I guess
Ambience: 5/5

We will definitely be back for more here.

Okay, I'm supposed to have included a review of Mad Jack's here. But I didn't like it, and she got quite sick from all the oil in the food. Low prices, low quality food at Mad Jack's. Won't be back.

No comments: