Sunday, April 15, 2007

Treat of the week

Yes, yes, it's not realistic to keep away from good grub ALL the time. So here I present you with... the "treat-of-the-week", a way to keep myself sane amidst our lovely city's incredible (and oily, sweet and fatty) temptations.

This week's treat: Fosters the English Rose Cafe

Devonshire Cream Tea Set ($9.50)

I didn't have this, I just pinched a finger sandwich off her plate while she wasn't looking, haha. I do have to say, though, that I would normally just have this when I come to Fosters (why else would anyone go there for tea?), but I happened to see that the people at the table-next-door had ordered pie.

So pie it was. Beef pie, that is.

Beef Pie ($7.50)

Wow, I honestly didn't expect very much, but the pastry that showed up at my table was pretty awesome. The first thing that struck me, was the copious amount of fresh salad laced along the side of the plate. They were as crisp as the fries, which were medium-cut (think a cross between MOS and Mac fries) and tasty.

Now, for the pie. Well, I can't say I wasn't hoping for this pie to totally blow me away, given that this IS an "English Rose Cafe" (whatever that means). English = Pies, no?

Ladies and Gents, I'm happy to report that this pie did, indeed, rock. Here's a close up:

Can you see how stew-like the meat is?

The pastry itself was adequate, but what really surprised me was the almost homogeneous texture of the beef. As you can see from the pic above, it's almost stew-like, and I guarantee you that it tastes like it looks.

Some of you might prefer the chunky variety of pie, and I have to admit, if I were given the option before I ate this, I would've readily picked the chunky one. This is one good, smooth, filling pie. You know what, the best way to decide if you like this variation of pie, is to just try the damn thing.

Fosters the English Rose Cafe
Holland V corner
Taste: 4/5
Value: 3.5/5
Ambience: 4/5


I took a photo of this sometime in the past two weeks, it's of a plate of Char Siew Rice. By far, this is the best ever CSR I've ever had. You can find it at Marina Sq food court (Not Kidding!), near the escalator. Confirm. Best. Chop. Ireallylovedanny guarantee.

$3.50 of heavenly goodness.

No comments: