Sunday, January 03, 2010

Twenty-oh-nine in review

Looking back at a post I wrote exactly one year ago which began with:
"
It shouldn't be fair that 365 days could yield so much - how on earth are we ever gonna live up to 2008?"

I'm filled with satisfaction at how 2009 has panned out - way beyond what 2008 brought. There are so many things to be thankful for, and that's what I'll focus on first:

1. Question popped: And now the question is, how will it turn out in 2010? I'm so excited and some days I still can't believe it's really happening. But it is. :)

2. Goals fulfilled: I made the longest list of resolutions last year and checked off most of them halfway through the year, with just a few remaining.

Fitness-wise, the knee injury's kept me from completing the marathon (but hey, I tried, didn't I?), though the IPPT was cleared, and the bike is about to be purchased.

3. Work/Life balance: This was actually a reality for a good part of the year, and I feel a lot more settled in at the end of 2009 than I was a year ago. The opportunities to learn and the fantastic team I'm working with mean that I'm not thinking about moving any time soon. The new experiences (new biz, training mods, etc.) are keeping things fresh for me, and I sense that 2010 will bring with it even more opportunities to shake things up.

4. Perspective the magazine: It was bewildering how everyone pulled together to get this out in the five days from conception to execution. Five days!! Proud of everyone on the team; made me feel like I was back in the Chron room again, designing and laying out copy...

5. Old friends: I'm thankful for all the new acquiantances I made in the course of 2009, but what really surprised me was how wonderful it felt to re-connect with old buddies I hadn't seen in awhile. It was so easy to slip back into the groove, wavelengths undisturbed. Beautiful.

And with the highs, we have the lows:

1. People matter: A ridiculous number left last year, with some among them true friends who will definitely be missed. You know who you guys are. It's what the working world is, but we're stronger than that.

2. Late nights: Remember I said work/life balance was true most of the time? Well, the other times weren't fantastic.

3. Knee busted: Didn't realise how much I've come to depend on running to shed those kilos, not to mention how relaxing/addictive it is. I did a few clicks in Dec though, so hopefully I'll be able to get back to it soon. Swimming and cycling are great, but nothing beats the feet on tarmac at 11pm.

-------

2010's gonna be huge. Right now, all I can think about is the trip to Spain with you -- can't wait! Bring it on!

1 comment:

SelSaysIt said...

Not too much tarmac, Mr T! And here's to 2010!