Saturday, February 16, 2008

A beautiful book

Ok fine, so I'm a little late reading Paulo Coelho's bestseller, The Alchemist. But boy is it a great read. It's references to Islam, Christianity and Buddhism, told in such a simple yet powerful parable is an inspiration to life.

Excerpt pp. 88-89

The camel driver, though, seemed not to be very concerned with the threat of war.

"I'm alive," he said to the boy, as they ate a bunch of dates one night, with no fires and no moon. "When I'm eating, that's all I think about. If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching. If I have to fight, it will be just as good a day to die as any other.

"Because I don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate only on the present, you'll be a happy man. You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heavens, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."
Brilliant.

2 comments:

Hilde said...

So glad you like it! It's on top of my list.

Danny said...

Yeah, it's such an inspiring book! I almost decided to read it again after I finished it. Almost.